- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 6 cups beef stock (homemade or canned)
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 2 large red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Heat the butter and oil together in a large, heavy pot.
Stir in the onion, garlic and celery and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes.
Stir in the carrots and stir for 2 to 3 minutes longer.
Add the stock, tomato purée and potatoes.
Bring to boil and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
Make Basil Meatballs according to following recipe; add to soup and cook 20 minutes longer.
Season to taste and serve piping hot.
Serves 8 to 10. Basil Meatballs:
- 1 pound very lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt ( or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
Lightly toss together all ingredients.
Form into tiny meatballs and add them to the soup.