- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter or margarine
- 3 pounds lean freshly ground beef
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Generous dash hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
Sauté the onion in the butter in a small skillet until onion is tender. Cool completely.
Place the meat in a large bowl and gently toss in the onion-butter mixture, the mustard, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce, parsley and wine. Toss just until well mixed.
Using a very gentle touch, form into 8 patties.
Chill, covered, until ready to grill.
Grill on pre-heated hot grill to desired doneness. Turn only once
These rules apply to all burgers, whether plain or fancy: Form the patties with the lightest and gentlest touch possible. Never squeeze or press the ground beef. (Squeezing and pressing results in a dry, tough burger.) Always grill on a hot, preheated grill. Turn the burgers only once about 2/3 of the way through the cooking time. Never press with the spatula while cooking.